Owning a Boston Terrier
- Owning a Boston Terrier is like any dog ownership - a responsibility to the dog for its life. That responsibility will give you in the case of a Boston Terrier generally 12 to 14 years of companionship and total love from your pet. If you don’t like a dog who can sometime snore... quite loudly a Boston is not for you
- If you don’t like a dog who is with you what ever you are doing a Boston is not for you
- If you consider a dogs place is outside at all time a Boston is not for you
- If you haven’t the patience to accept a dog who can be slow to house train a Boston is not or you
- If you don’t like a dog showing you affection in a doggy ways a Boston is not for you
- If you want a dog who is happy to share the armchair with you a Boston is for you
- If you don’t mind a dog sitting at the toilet door waiting then a Boston is for you
- If you don’t mind a dog leaping excitedly on hearing car keys then a Boston is for you
- If you don’t mind being stopped by strangers asking about the nice little dog then a Boston is for you
- If you don’t mind always being aware of temperatures hot and cold a Boston is for you
- If you don’t mind a dog who can go totally deaf on commands being given then a Boston is for you
One of the many aims of the Boston Terrier Club is to offer help and advice to its members and prospective members. We have a wealth of knowledge on the Boston Terrier with many folk having been club members for 20 plus years. Getting a Boston Terrier is not easy and can sometimes require a wait of 2-3 years. But to a breeder, they know if you are prepared to wait that time, you are serious in your desire to be owned by a Boston.
Breeders will not chase prospective Boston owners nor do they keep waiting lists as these would have 100 plus names maybe longer. So if you want a Boston and contact a breeder you must do the chasing and keep in touch with the breeder with a phone call or email every 3-4 months. Check with breeder as to their preferred contact method. All breeders offer advice and are there to support you once you get your Boston.